Fixed a big pot of Chili today, and this recipe makes the absolute best Chili ever! Some of the more unusual ingredients are dark beer, strong-brewed coffee and cocoa powder.
Ever since receiving the recipe from a friend a few years ago, it is the only Chili that I make. Of course, I have made a few changes to the recipe to suit our taste.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle dark beer
- 1 cup strong strong brewed coffee
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
- 4 fresh Anaheim peppers, seeded and chopped
In a large saucepan, cook ground beef, onions and garlic until the meat is well browned and the onions are tender (about 10 minutes).
Mix in all the remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours.
The recipe does require a long list of ingredients, but is really easy to prepare and tastes delicious. Makes 8-10 servings.
Close To My Heart Independent Consultant