Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Handle With Care

Handle with Care Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult

My review

rating: 4 of 5 stars
Typical for Jodi Picoult - a medical/moral dilemma with no clear right or wrong answer. This story focuses on the life of a young girl who was born with OI - a disease which means the patient lacks enough collagen and their bones break extremely easily. Normally, the first broken bones occur in vitro and then bones can possibly break just by sneezing or turning too quickly.

This story focuses on Willow and her family. Her mother decides to sue her OB for "wrongful birth" meaning that if she had known the condition early enough during pregnancy, then a decision could have been made regarding termination. However, the father does not agree with this decision - and the OB just happens to be the mother's best friend. The frequent surgeries and required medical equipment place a tremendous financial strain on the family, and Willow's mother sees a medical malpractice settlement as a way to ensure there will be enough money to treat Willow and ensure as comfortable a life as possible for someone with OI.

The chapters of the book are told from the point of view of different characters, so you gain an understanding and insight into the different emotions of Willow as well as her mother, father, sister, doctor, and lawyer.

View all my reviews.

1 comment:

  1. Great review!
    I am (or should say, "was") an avid reader and have many, many reviews on Amazon.com. Now that I work a 40 - 45 hour week in healthcare, I'm not able to read as much as I would like.
    I am a Jodi P fan through and through.
    Isn't it terrific that her book "My Sisiter's Keeper" is a movie?!!! OMG...That is one magnificent book!! There is no way the movie can be as good as the book.....but I will surely go to see the movie.
    I will definitely be back to your blog....reading is one of my TRUE passions.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! It is always nice to hear some feedback. :)