Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Pioneer Woman Cooks

The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Ranch Wife The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Ranch Wife by Ree Drummond


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This cookbook is such a joy to read - Ree (The Pioneer Woman) shares her personal life, her recommendations for basic kitchen tools, and wonderful step-by-step recipes with beautiful color photos - all along with her delightful sense of humor.

What I really like about her recipes is that they use "real" food - not a bunch of fancy stuff, but real ingredients that you are likely to have on hand and are easy to find in any grocery store. Since following her blog, we've prepared several of her recipes and everything is really good.

View all my reviews >>


One of our favorites is her Whiskey-Glazed Carrots - they are truly yummy. Even though this recipe isn't in the cookbook, it is available in the Cooking section of The Pioneer Woman blog. This is a picture of our first batch and as you can see, I even bought a cast-iron skillet so that I could prepare the recipes just as Pioneer Woman recommends. Even though I was dreading the cleaning of a frying pan without a 'non-stick' surface, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to clean the skillet. Just run hot water over the pan and wipe with a nylon scrubber - easy, peasy clean-up. Be sure to dry thoroughly to prevent the iron from rusting.

Some of our other recommendations are Buttered Rosemary Rolls, Marlboro Man's Second Favorite Sandwich, and Chicken Spaghetti. Let me know if you have a favorite Pioneer Woman recipe!

2 comments:

  1. Off to check her blog now!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have followed Pioneer Woman for a while! I love her cooking and photography. Just ordered her cookbook...have your tried her apple dumplings made with Mountain Dew???? YUMMO!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! It is always nice to hear some feedback. :)